Tuesday 26 February 2019

The Benefits of Helping Others


For the last four days, I’ve spent time helping out at a property course for new investors. Now back home, I just walked Jerry Lee and was contemplating the events of the weekend.


 Me and Jerry Lee do a lot of contemplation in our favourite park.
He never says much though, but he's a good listener!


Just recently, I’ve been a little bit apathetic about networking with other people. Sometimes you’re just giving, giving, giving - and it gets to a point where you feel people are just taking, taking and taking.

Now I’m not saying you should do things in expectation of something in return – but when feels one-way  or one-sided constantly, you do start to get a bit fed up and a bit jaded.

Certain folks have obviously not heard of reciprocity!


RECIPROCITYYYYYYYY!!
Mama Morton in Chicago:
"When you're good to Mama, Mama's good to you!"

Sadly, some people are just out to take advantage and get what they can out of you.

In fact, one of my most-hated phrases has become “Can I just pick your brains…?”

Which I have now come to translate as “Can I take up loads of your time for free, ask you many questions about your property knowledge, which you’ve paid thousands of pounds to go and learn, so that I can go do it for myself with minimum effort and cost, before thanklessly forgetting you ever helped me?”

Luckily, I’ve managed to spot the selfish piss-takers from the genuine people who just need a little nudge in the right direction.

And this is where it gets interesting.

Altruism is vastly underrated.

There’s something really special about helping someone else without wanting anything back in return – just the pure joy of knowing your guidance has helped them.

I love it best when their eyes light up and they start smiling - because you know a lightbulb moment has occurred for them, and you’ve said or done something which will genuinely improve their life.

And as this happened many times over the last few days, I felt my own little glimmer of light reignite inside. 

Like I actually made a difference.


For those of you who don’t know, I used to be a high school teacher - and it was like that special moment in the classroom when you help a kid understand something on his worksheet, and his face grins and he says “Aww fanx Miss, I gerrit now!!” 

And you float off feeling like some omniscient godlike genius. 😁😁😁


So from teaching schoolchildren, to working with my Air Cadets, helping at my local Chamber of Trade and Commerce, to networking and giving referrals to other business and property contacts… I just like helping people, for the nice feeling it gives me inside.
😁
Although helping other takes your time, effort and enthusiasm – why not try it, just for that one pleasant beneficial feeling you’ll get.
Just a few scientifically-proven benefits!
Who can you help today?!?