Sunday 31 December 2017

Good Riddance 2017 – Reflection, Correction and Downright Dissection


New Year’s Eve means the year is almost over, and to be blunt, I’ll be glad when it is.

I feel however hard I have tried these last twelve months, things have just kept continuously and relentlessly going wrong.

Sometimes it just isn’t your year.
I am generally a lucky person, and friends often describe me as one of the most positive people they know – but even I get downtrodden sometimes.



And to be fair, some good things have happened this year: a trip to Florence and Pisa, a mentorship in the Cayman Islands, running a 10k race whilst raising £250 for charity, and best of all, acquiring, refurbishing and renting out three more houses to local families.  

But far more bad things have happened, too many to list and pointless to dwell on - but this continuous chain of unpleasant events have caused a massive confidence crisis in my own mindset.

 
 
In short, I am not where I want to be.

I am disappointed in myself.

I have let myself down.

 
 
I very rarely fail at anything; the last major event being abysmally failing my basic Cycling Proficiency Test aged 10 (which gives you some indication of my gormless co-ordination skills!)
I feel like a failure, and it is an unpleasant feeling which I am not used to.

I have struggled for weeks to regain my natural motivation and mojo. My get-up-and-go has got up and went. And one doubt continuously creeps into my mind: what if I’m just not good enough for this?

Despite proving that I am, that I can do it - because I already have - that one niggling thought continues to cling, evade and disrupt, and it is a real struggle to shake off.

 
So let’s imagine the worst case scenario: I am a failure at this, and I must go back and get a ‘real job’. Getting up early and dragging my sorry ass out of bed in the dark. Doing the long, tedious driving commute, where the most exciting thing that prevents boredom is when an 80s classic comes on the radio. Arriving at the workplace, aka the ‘dark satanic mills’, trudging into my room. Desperately wishing it was hometime already, willing the time and drudgery to go quicker. Putting up with other people’s nonsense and stupid behaviour, smiling and being polite, because that’s what my contract insists I have to do. Attending irrelevant meetings, making noteless notes on pointless policies. Power trips from the senior management team, just because they can, not because they’re competent. And then commuting home, traipsing mindless work with me, which eats into my own free time. Tired all the time, miserable, fed up, bored, and doing what other people tell me.

Is that what I really want?

Is that not why I left in the first place?



From being a bizarre, weird little only child, I always knew I was different. Independent. Forthright. Freestyle.
I'm just not the norm.

I’m not sure why I spent so many years trying to fit in, when I was born to stand out.

And because of this, it pisses me right off when I don’t get to do whatever I want.

So a normal job was never going to be right for me, because quite simply, I don’t like being told what to do.

Young Kellyann dreams of the future...
 ...where she can grow up and work herself to death doing things she doesn't like for other people.
Yay!
Who wants to be normal anyway?
Is it thus going to be true that I’m not cut out for a ‘non-normal job’ as well?

Well that depends on me, I suppose.

You see, you and I, and everyone, are essentially infinite choice-makers in every moment of our existence.

And it is a stinging realisation that this year has been, in my eyes, unsuccessful - because of me.

Being self-employed means being self-starting, self-productive, self-directing and self-acting. There’s nobody coming to save me, help me, or to wipe my arse. It’s down to me, and me alone.

It is said that many of life’s failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up.

 
If it was that easy, everyone would do it. But business owners are willing to sacrifice short term gratification, to experience pain and hardship, so that they can live their life long-term in ways other people can only watch and dream of.

So am I giving up and becoming “normal”?

Or am I drying my princess eyes, telling myself to toughen the fuck up and working harder to make next year far better?



What do you think?!
 
 
 
 
 
# DISCLAIMER WARNING - PROCEED WITH CAUTION #
 
Here's the barefaced truth I need, not something beautiful.
The following content is not suitable for pussies who can't handle the truth, or an abomination of F-bombs.
You have been warned!
 
 
Happy New Year everyone.
My very best wishes for 2018 x x x