Sunday 11 March 2018

Hibernation for the Nation

 

HIBERNATION FOR THE NATION
 

IS IT JUST ME…
…or has anyone else been suffering with hibernation issues?!
It’s not-quite-spring, it’s cold, it’s dark, and the weather is causing chaos - whether it was the snowstorm "Beast from the East", or the surprise out of s-nowhere, "Pest from the West".
It’s all causing some sort of bizarre seasonal affective disorder – SAD - making me want to NAP (Nap Against Productivity!)
During these enforced snow days, I thought, at 8am: great, I’ll get loads of business-work done today.

And then at 6pm, having nonchalantly browsed various social media platforms ten times an hour, eaten my own bodyweight in chocolate, crisps and other carbs, and had a little afternoon nap, a panic-stricken thought kept overwhelming me:
WHERE’S MY BLOODY DAY GONE?!?
Who’s done that too recently?
I am like some sort of human hibernating squirrel at the minute, which is most unlike me. But hibernation is not an effective, productive use of time that we entrepreneurs should be employing!
Time goes too fast to let ourselves be ruled by the day - and the weather. If we waste our time doing this, like everybody else does on a snow day, then we too get involved in ‘hibernation for the nation’!

NOT PRODUCTIVE!!!
So here’s a few things that I had to force myself to do, and whether you call it kickstarting yourself, getting your mojo back or finding your groove again, I hope these things work for you too.
HOW TO BE PRODUCTIVE ON A DAY WHEN YOU DON’T FEEL LIKE DOING OWT!!*
(Don’t forget I’m Yorkshire; for those outside God’s County, “owt’ translates as “anything”!)
1. Force yourself to start something by counting down aloud: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 which, like a rocket countdown, makes you launch into doing it. This is my new thing to do to make myself get out of bed when it’s freezing!
2. Get some fresh air and exercise early on in the day. Gets the blood pumping, those feel-good endorphins blaring and kickstarts your energy and metabolism for the day. Luckily I have a freestyle fruitcase German Shepherd dog, whose favourite activity involves dragging/yanking me around his local park.
Beautiful doggy!
Snow wolf, aka Jerry Lee stops his kite impression for ten seconds for a photo in his favourite park :)
3. Drink water. Keeps you refreshed, hydrated, deters sluggishness and thus keeps you alert. And stops you reaching for the snacks! I just whang a splash of cordial in mine to stop it being so boring.
4. Highlight and write down the 3 most important things you want to achieve that day, and focus only on those. If you get additional items done then that’s a bonus, but at least you’ll have ticked off your major items of significance.
5. Chunk your tasks into short action steps. Pick a task and then set an alarm for 15 minutes in which you try and complete it. This then turns it into a ‘Crystal-Maze’ type fun challenge where you try and beat the clock – and the time limit really focuses you on completing the task. You can always allocate yourself another 15 minutes if you need to, or do another task once complete.
6. Just gerronwi’it. No one else is going to do your work that only you have allocated yourself to do. So gerronwi’it! And once you’ve done it, then it’s done, finito, and you can breathe a sigh of relief and reward yourself.
Perhaps with a nap…
Thanks for reading!

If you'd like to learn more about my work, please visit my website


www.kellyannmartin.co.uk

Take care, and have a lovely day,

Kellyann x x x