Wednesday 25 October 2017

IT'S CARPET DAY!!!

IT'S CARPET DAY!!!



Ever since I can remember, I have loved the smell of a new carpet.

Call me weird, but there’s something distinctly pleasant about laying down on a new carpet and breathing in its delightful fresh scent.


So you can imagine how excited I get on carpet day – that is, the day of the refurbishment project when the fitter turns up with his vanful of wares – ie the carpet you chose the week before.

I readily “
roll out the red carpet” for him, and by the way, it really is worth paying extra to have them professionally fitted. I have tried the DIY carpet fitter role myself, and it just ends up looking like a bodge job.

Bizarrely, no matter how much other refurb work you do in the house, it still always looks unfinished until the floor coverings go down. This covers up a multitude of sins; mainly old floorboards covered with scruffy paint splashes for the decoration.

So fitting the carpets is pretty much the last stage in the project schedule, meaning the end is nigh; your house renovation is nearly finished!
But, some people get their rug in a twist over what sort of carpet to buy for a rental property. If that’s you, don’t worry: I wouldn’t let anyone pull the rug from under you – I’ve got you covered! (groannn…)
Let me take you on a magic carpet ride to Carpet Choice Kingdom…

Points to consider when choosing a carpet for a rental property:
1. Pick one that’s tough and hard wearing. You don’t want to be replacing it quite imminently.
2. Make sure it is felt-backed, as it feels softer underfoot.
3. Bleachproof is best, as the inevitable always happens! So at least give the tenants a chance at getting their stains out.
4. Pick a neutral colour, but not too light – it hides minor stains.
5. Pick a pattern at your peril! They date quite quickly, and often have the effect of making a room look smaller.
6. Underlay, underlay?! Arriba!! It depends on your budget and the smoothness of the floorboards underneath, so I don’t think it’s always a necessity. Make a judgement yourself - and don’t let the carpet salesmen walk all over you!
7. Finally, get a pile fabric instead of a loop style carpet. The reason for this is that if a tenant has a pet, if their claws catch on a loop, it snags and rips an entire thread out of the carpet, meaning you’re left with a long, unrepairable threadbare snag line.

And that’s it!

I’m sure you’re not too floored by these revelations, but I hope you hoovered them all up and that these tips help!


PS - Don’t be shy about protecting your new carpet – you want your expensive asset to last as long as possible after all.
I have no qualms at asking potential new tenants to remove their shoes on house viewings. If they get stroppy about that, then perhaps they’ve done you a favour in showing you that they’re not the type of respectful tenant you’d want living in your investment anyway!
PPS – I can only apologise for my excessive use of carpet-related puns in this blog. I’m sure, like an old carpet, you’re a little worn out by them, but I’m on a roll; I just can’t help myself! I got all these terrible puns from my other carpet-loving friend. Polly Esther.
Definitely it now, take care… and carpet diem x